Sunday, July 22, 2012

A little comic book adventure

So I had some spare time the other day and went to the bookstores to search for volume 1 and volume 2 of Scott Pilgrim (since these are the only two that have been published here so far). Actually, volume one came out last year, but I wasn't really interested in the series at the time (I had only seen the movie), but when I saw that they had translated and published volume two, I decided to give it a try. And besides, the price is 10 lv (about 5 euro), which is quite acceptable.
I am mentioning Scott Pilgrim in this blog, because it's a black and white graphic novel, which is inspired by Japanese manga and it's a really great comic!
Anyway, I got in a bookstore, that was on my way home. This bookstore is in a subway and it's usually a pretty bright place, but that day the lights were kind of dim and you couldn't see very well inside. So I got to the comic book section and found volume two. I looked for volume one, but I didn't see any, so I ask a staff person, who also said that there are none left. I said ok and went to pay for volume two.
 I went out of the bookstore and decided to go to another one to see if they had volume one. After a little looking around I finally found it (in the children's books section -_-''') and took it, too. I started reading on the bus on the way home and got really into it. 
So I finished volume one and found nothing wrong with it. Well, the were two pages, that were stuck together, but I fixed them really easily.

Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life
and
Scott Pilgrim vs. World
by Bryan Lee O'Malley
And then I took volume two out of the bag and... Remember how I said that it was really dim in the first bookstore? Yeah.... I saw that the edges of the cover were kind of worn out as you can see in the picture on the side. And this is a brand new book! I really couldn't see that in the store.
This morning I found out there is one more thing that is wrong with this book. On the side you can see a comparison of two pictures. The first one is a photo, that I took of the book, I have, and the second one is a picture of what there should have been in the blank space. There is quite a big difference! Now, I can deal with the worn out edges, because what's important for me is the inside of the book, but this really irritated me.

I don't know if the publisher decided to print every copy of the book this way, or I was just "lucky" enough to get the messed up copy, but I plan to find out. And if the other books have this picture I might just buy a new copy and sell the one I have for lower price, I'll see. 




All in all, I liked the first two volumes of Scott Pilgrim and I am really tempted to read the next four volumes. The artwork is simple, but really nice, the story is very interesting and the characters are intriguing. What more would you want from a graphic novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment